Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What things facilitated (or helped) your learning?

5 comments:

  1. The things that helped me to learn at school were:
    1. good planning and organisation of lesson material by the teacher
    2. high level of interest and understanding of the material by the teacher
    3. I had an interest in the content myself
    4. the lessons were not too difficult and contained a good level of scaffolding to help me understand the material
    5. At the same time, the lessons were challenging enough not to be boring
    6. I enjoyed classes where there were prizes for the "first student to solve the problem" - I had teachers mainly in maths and science who used this method to engage student learning
    7. There was enough time to complete the material in class and lessons were usually wrapped up with a good conclusion
    8. The homework did not take too much time and was not too difficult

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the need to be interested in the material the teacher was trying to teach me. Students quickly lose the ability to concentrate when there is no link between the student and the material being taught.

    Time management was a big issue at school for me. I had to be helped to develop the skills i needed in time management to succeed at school. I learned this from my peers, siblings and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t remember much of my primary years, but what I do remember is having fun enthusiastic teachers who were passionate about teaching. All the concepts being taught were new to me thus I maintained interest but the teachers also included exciting activities to increase enthusiasm.

    During high school there was a lot of pressure to perform academically; our schools nickname was HAGS which stood for higher academic girls’ school! When I was there, the school had had a 100% pass rate for the last 20+ yrs, I motivated to achieve just so that I was not the one to break the tradition. Academically I achieved well but did not have much interest in non-practical subjects, I found Science and Biology to be my favourite as they had fun and interesting experiments and when leaving those classes I could write down what was learnt, as opposed to other subjects where I had no interest and didn’t see the point (i.e. EDUC107).

    I went to an all girls boarding high school, and I think that the boarding taught me to be independent and to accept responsibilities at an early age. It also had massive social benefits as 80% of the school were boarders; we got to spend a lot of time socializing and interacting with our peers. The school was very strict and had lots of traditions one was that in our first year (yr8) we were not allowed to socialize with any of the years above us. This sounds harsh but I believe it helped us make friends with peers our age, prevented possible bullying and also instilled a sense of respect for our elders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really believe the only teachers you remember are the ones that were fantastic and the ones that were terrible. The ones in-between I really have no recollection of. ..
    In terms of primary school I really don’t have any stand out moments that I can mention. I felt high school had more influential and memorable learning experiences. The things I believe helped my learning were;
    1. Both primary and high schools I attended had a well structured faculty were by teachers were supported by other teachers and principals. There were strict rules enforced by the school, these were instilled by teachers and parents. I believe this set the schools tone and the standard of teaching and learning.
    2. Interactive lessons; for example maths lessons that were hands on activities, were always more fun and I found the things I learnt always stuck.
    3. In the younger years I loved lessons that had a rewards system, gave me some drive.
    4. Home; my mum would read and do home work with me every day. If there was no homework she would make something up- that related to what I was learning at the time.
    5. Feedback from teachers, homework that was marked and returned promptly.
    6. Teachers that could relate lessons to real life situations, this made things easy to understand and more interesting.
    8. Consistency; teachers that were consistent with their style of lesson and enforcing discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the things that facilitated my learning was the type of school i went to and my home life.

    I went to Pymble Ladies College from kindergarten to year 12. Primary school (K-2) was quite strict for being so young and i went to school at 4 so it was a big adjustment for me. I found being social in this environment very easy. There were about 200 girls in every year so you had a large choice of people to choose from. Most of the friends i still have i went to school with and we formed such an amazing friendship.

    Being academic was different. As the year group was so big you did just feel like a number and the competition to be the best at something was immense. i was more interested in my friends and talking to them during class then i was in my school work.

    In Junior school (3-6) i had a lot of energy some teachers found it hard to control me and get me to listen. I loved sport and it really made me love school. We had so many options of sport such as soccer, hockey, softball, netball.. you could even do equestrian or skiing. The options were really amazing and i loved trying them all.

    You had to achieve academically to participate in sport so it made me more motivated to do my homework and do well in my classes. I didn't find the school work hard but i found that i was being distracted by everything going on around me. It was such a big school and everthing was so busy.

    I am the youngest of 4 children and so when i went home in the afternoon we all did our homework together at our desks in the study. we had a nanny (like not grandma, but babysitter) who helped us while my mum took whoever needed to go to sport or cooked the dinner. She was really helpful and had teaching experience so she knew how to explain the problems to us. My brother had dyslexia so usually my mum and my brother would do some special phonics and spelling work together and the nanny would mainly help us girls.

    In year 6, my teacher was a stand out teacher for me. She realised that i was very interested in research and hands assignments, art and being creative. She would keep me focused by compromising with me. I went through the hour of maths just to get to the hour of art.

    In senior school (7-12) life, i found it easier to concentrate. life was just as busy but i found that it was not as strict as primary and junior school. The teachers treated you more as an adult and if you didnt do your homework you werent punished, you just didnt learn and couldnt keep up.

    After school tutoring was very beneficial to me and when i did my homework and study i was more able to keep up in class the next day.

    ReplyDelete