Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How learning could have been enhanced using different approaches, resources etc?

6 comments:

  1. I prefer learning through more teacher focused methods. I did not get much out of doing group work such as posters or class discussions. In fact, I often worried when teachers primarily used these methods since I believe that teachers are there to teach, not to supervise students teaching other students. There is a place for this, but I don't think it should be a main focus.
    I would love to be at school today (I finished school quite a while ago...). There are so many opportunities to learn from the internet, to research projects using sources other than the ones from the library. I would love to be able to go to a website and look over the main material that has been taught by the teacher on something like a wiki and be able to access additional sources that have been suggested by the teacher - obviously this is unlikely to happen due to the immense amount of work required by the teacher to keep everything up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that my learning could have been enhanced by having less "textbook" lessons and more practical applications to the less interesting subjects. I found that I didn’t learn much by having someone stand in front of me talking for an hour.

    I also think that if what is available now was available then, more ICT resources would have increased my interest and intrinsic motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that my learning could have been enhanced by having less "textbook" lessons and more practical applications to the less interesting subjects. I found that I didn’t learn much by having someone stand in front of me talking for an hour.

    I also think that if what is available now was available then, more ICT resources would have increased my interest and intrinsic motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you both. I am so excited about using ICT resources to engage and teach my students. Resources available now are vast, interesting and interactive. However, this is no excuse why some of the lessons taught to me were extremely boring and somewhat irrelevant.
    I believe group work is very important. It isn’t about palming off the teaching to other students it’s about teaching students how to work and learn in group situations (something they will have to do their whole lives). In saying this social interaction is a very important aspect of a child’s development. In terms of a primary school group activities work well, as students can help each other while the teacher is with another group otherwise you will end up having 26+ individual students coming up to you asking how and what they are meant to be doing… It’s also interesting when students have different ways of solving problems (maths) and group activities give students the platform to share ideas.
    High school group work may be different… I hated it… it depends how it is used. I think in relevant situations it can work well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved interactive classes, this was an amazing way of keeping me motivated to listen. i remember loving to write on the white board and getting to draw pictures to demonstrate what i was trying to do. I think the smart board will be a very useful tool in this situation.

    I agree with melissa on the group work, very useful in junior school because you have more in class time but in senior school when you had no in class time, i hated it. The workload was never fair and everyone has different times they can work together. I never found that the assignment was one until a few days before it was due and that caused me alot of stress.

    Keryn, i found group discussions very benificial in the way that i liked to voice an opinion and ask questions but i can understand that not everyone likes to do this. I also found it confusing when someone got the discussion off topic and then i had no idea what we were talking about anymore.

    For me as a student, workbooks were well layed out and i could see the light at the end of the tunnel for the task at hand. In primary school, i liked when we had to do some colouring in on the page but i think it's a waste of time and can be saved for art or homework.

    Big picture books and shared reading were my favourite part of the day in primary and junior school. In senior school i like reading poems and literature in class.

    enough info girls? tell me if you need anything. x

    ReplyDelete