1. I disliked going to classes where the teacher did not really understand what they were teaching or taught it from a negative point of view. 2. Overly strict teachers made it hard to learn in class because I didn't want to be there. 3. I had one teacher who was really terrible at controlling bad behaviour in the classroom and as a result did not cover very much material in the class - this made it very boring. However it did encourage me to try to learn via different methods (e.g. students in different classes or from text books) 4. Having to leave the classroom for extracurricular activities or excursions was disruptive and I did not enjoy having to catch up on work that I missed. 5. Having disruptive classmates who distracted both the teacher and other students 6. Not having enough practice with the teacher before being told to do questions from the text (e.g. maths) 7. Unclear instructions on what to do in class (or for assignments!) 8. Unclear link as to why something I was learning was important or even relevant to everyday life (and I still believe some things are not)
In my primary years I think my biggest impediment was my low social skills, I was in the popular clique but was the shy one who always felt like they didn’t belong or didn’t see why the popular kids wanted to be my friend. I was not bullied but because of my insecurities i felt left out.
In high school, I felt that the not being allowed to socialize with seniors was an obstacle at the time, but in later years found that it helped me acquire vital social skills and improved my self-concept.
I think my biggest obstruction in learning was my lack of self motivation. I got good grades without having to study hard or concentrate in class, and so my interest were more directed in spending time chatting to my friends - and to be honest, the teachers didn’t mind as long as you got A's you could get away with it.
Without contradicting the things I mentioned it above there were some exceptions (mostly individual teachers) they were: 1. Teachers that were clearly disinterested in topics they were teaching 2. Lack of effort; I had a teacher that would hand out work sheets, no explanation and expected a quiet class for 90 minutes (she didn’t last long) 3. Poor communication skills from some teachers (assignment requirements and expectations- sometimes no rubrics) 4. Feedback, some teachers gave it others had trouble giving it. I really loved getting feedback and when I had a class where the teacher didn’t give feedback, I slowly become disinterested as I had no idea how I was progressing 5. When all of the above took place in the classroom I was easily distracted, I stopped listening and always had heaps to catch up on when it came to exam time.
Not sure if you need more girls. Please let me know!
The things i found hard about learning was mainly that i was easily distracted, if the teacher didn't have my attention i found it very hard not to want to do something else like write in my school diary or talk to a friend next to me (which i always got in trouble for). The school was strict and i found that sometimes the teacher was putting too much pressure on us to succeed and the lessons were repetitive and the information was being drilled into us.
it's very hard to learn like that.
i was terrible with time management when i was younger because i had too much on my plate. when i slowed down, i found that i learned time management and then could pick up everything i was doing again. I kept a calender to keep up on all my school work and also a diary.
some of the teachers at my school very good teachers, other were just there for the extra money. Some of them were very resentful for the lives we lead and for the fact we went to that school and sometimes took it for granted. These teachers were a bit bitter and didnt inspire my learning at all.
1. I disliked going to classes where the teacher did not really understand what they were teaching or taught it from a negative point of view.
ReplyDelete2. Overly strict teachers made it hard to learn in class because I didn't want to be there.
3. I had one teacher who was really terrible at controlling bad behaviour in the classroom and as a result did not cover very much material in the class - this made it very boring. However it did encourage me to try to learn via different methods (e.g. students in different classes or from text books)
4. Having to leave the classroom for extracurricular activities or excursions was disruptive and I did not enjoy having to catch up on work that I missed.
5. Having disruptive classmates who distracted both the teacher and other students
6. Not having enough practice with the teacher before being told to do questions from the text (e.g. maths)
7. Unclear instructions on what to do in class (or for assignments!)
8. Unclear link as to why something I was learning was important or even relevant to everyday life (and I still believe some things are not)
In my primary years I think my biggest impediment was my low social skills, I was in the popular clique but was the shy one who always felt like they didn’t belong or didn’t see why the popular kids wanted to be my friend. I was not bullied but because of my insecurities i felt left out.
ReplyDeleteIn high school, I felt that the not being allowed to socialize with seniors was an obstacle at the time, but in later years found that it helped me acquire vital social skills and improved my self-concept.
I think my biggest obstruction in learning was my lack of self motivation. I got good grades without having to study hard or concentrate in class, and so my interest were more directed in spending time chatting to my friends - and to be honest, the teachers didn’t mind as long as you got A's you could get away with it.
Without contradicting the things I mentioned it above there were some exceptions (mostly individual teachers) they were:
ReplyDelete1. Teachers that were clearly disinterested in topics they were teaching
2. Lack of effort; I had a teacher that would hand out work sheets, no explanation and expected a quiet class for 90 minutes (she didn’t last long)
3. Poor communication skills from some teachers (assignment requirements and expectations- sometimes no rubrics)
4. Feedback, some teachers gave it others had trouble giving it. I really loved getting feedback and when I had a class where the teacher didn’t give feedback, I slowly become disinterested as I had no idea how I was progressing
5. When all of the above took place in the classroom I was easily distracted, I stopped listening and always had heaps to catch up on when it came to exam time.
Not sure if you need more girls. Please let me know!
The things i found hard about learning was mainly that i was easily distracted, if the teacher didn't have my attention i found it very hard not to want to do something else like write in my school diary or talk to a friend next to me (which i always got in trouble for). The school was strict and i found that sometimes the teacher was putting too much pressure on us to succeed and the lessons were repetitive and the information was being drilled into us.
ReplyDeleteit's very hard to learn like that.
i was terrible with time management when i was younger because i had too much on my plate. when i slowed down, i found that i learned time management and then could pick up everything i was doing again. I kept a calender to keep up on all my school work and also a diary.
some of the teachers at my school very good teachers, other were just there for the extra money. Some of them were very resentful for the lives we lead and for the fact we went to that school and sometimes took it for granted. These teachers were a bit bitter and didnt inspire my learning at all.